Dual degree of B.A. & M.A. in Public Services
The programme is designed for students who dream of becoming a bureaucrat to serve the nation. It offers a dual degree of a B.A. in Public Services and an M.A. in Public Services, giving learners the opportunity to decide at what stage they can take the UPSC exam. This programme would greatly benefit students who are interested in Social Sciences. It would take them to greater heights of academic research according to their area of specialization. Students from any stream in class XII, irrespective of Science, Arts, or Commerce, can choose Social Sciences and Humanities as their preferred career option. They have the advantage of choosing their preferred course and decide whether to pursue an M.A. degree after completing their B.A programme.
VIT-AP Advantage of Dual Degree in Public Services
The programme is designed for students who would like to serve the nation through various administrative services. It offers a dual degree of B.A. in Public Services and M.A. in Public Services, giving learners an opportunity to decide when they want to take the UPSC exam. Primarily, this programme caters to students who are interested in the field of social sciences. Here, the students have the advantage of choosing their programme-course according to their area of interest. Apart from enabling them to pursue academic research in public services, this course will also train them for competitive public service commission examinations.
The programme offers an impressive curriculum that has all the contemporary topics with three different majors. In addition, students will be trained rigorously for the UPSC and allied Examinations.
Programme Duration: 5 years (3+2 with exit option after successful completion of B.A.)
Key Features of the Programme:
- ☆ Students can choose the qualifying degree and duration for the course
- ☆ On completion of 3 years they can exit with the B.A. Degree in Public Services
- ☆ Students have the option to decide when to appear for the public services examinations based on their eligibility and readiness
- ☆ Students can choose their major area of specialization according to their area of interest
- ☆ Students can opt for minor electives of their choice in any department of the university
- ☆ Co-curricular activities like clubs and chapters
- ☆ Integrated Training for UPSC offered by Expert IAS Trainers (Partnership with reputed IAS Training Centre)
B.A. Public Services Core Courses
- ☆ History
- ☆ Political Science
- ☆ Economics
B.A. Public Services Elective Courses
- ☆ Psychology
- ☆ Geography
- ☆ Anthropology
- ☆ Sociology
- ☆ International Relations
UPSC Training Modules
- ☆ Indian Art & Culture
- ☆ Science & Technology (Space, Bio-Tech, Nano, Nuclear, Defence etc..)
- ☆ Environment, Ecology, Biodiversity, Climate Change, Issues etc..
- ☆ General Science (Physics, Chemistry & Biology)
- ☆ Social & Health Issues
- ☆ Agriculture and related issues
- ☆ Bilateral & Institutions
- ☆ Internal Security Issues
- ☆ Socio – Economics
- ☆ Security & Disaster Management
- ☆ Ethics, Integrity & Aptitude
- ☆ India Year Book – Recent Updates
- ☆ Current Affairs (Current Events of National & International Importance)
Civil Service Aptitude Test (CSAT):-
- ☆ General Mental Ability
- ☆ English Language & Comprehension
- ☆ Basic Numeracy
- ☆ Data Interpretation
- ☆ Logical Reasoning
- ☆ Analytical Ability
- ☆ Decision Making
- ☆ Problem Solving
- ☆ Interpersonal Skills
- ☆ Communication Skills
- ☆ A Pass in XII State Board examination or equivalent with a minimum of 60% marks in aggregate.
- ☆ Students from Jammu and Kashmir and North Eastern States of India should have an aggregate of 50% in the Class XII examinations.
- ☆ Students belonging to the SC/ST Community should have an aggregate of 50% in the Class XII examinations.
- ☆ Students from any stream of study in class XII can join this programme.
The Dual Degree Programme in B.A./M.A. Public services gives an opportunity to develop required knowledge and competitive aptitude for qualifying public service commission examinations and careers in governance, policy making and academics.
Areas of Employment:-
- ♕ Indian Administrative Service (IAS)
- ♕ Indian Postal Service (IpoS)
- ♕ Indian Public Service (IPS)
- ♕ Indian Forest Service (IFS)
- ♕ Indian Information Service (IIS)
- ♕ Indian Trade Service (ItrS)
- ♕ Indian Railway Personnel Service (IRPS)
- ♕ Indian Railway Accounts Service (IRAS)
- ♕ Indian Revenue Service (IRS – IT)
- ♕ Indian Audit and Account Service (IAAS)
- ♕ Indian Corporate Law Service (ICLS)
- ♕ Indian Ordinance Factories Service (IOFS)
- ♕ State Government Roles as civil services Officer
- ♕ State Civil Services, Class-I (SCS)
- ♕ State Police Service, Class-I (SPS)
- ♕ Block Development Officer
- ♕ Tehsildar/Talukadar/Asstt. Collector
- ♕ Excise and Taxation Officer
- ♕ Dist. Employment Officer
- ♕ Dist. Treasury Officer
- ♕ Dist. Welfare Officer
- ♕ Asst Registrar Cooperative Societies
- ♕ Dist. Food and Supplies Controller/Officer
- And many more…
Expected Career Path:-
- GV Merit Scholarship:
Any board topper across the country will get 100% scholarship for all the years of the UG degree programmes.
- Tmt.Rajeswari Ammal Merit Scholarship:
Any district topper across the country will get 50% scholarship for all the years of the UG degree programmes. If the district topper is a girl, she will get an additional 25% scholarship (making it 75% scholarship).
This scholarship is applicable to BBA, Law, B.Com, B.Sc. and B.A. degree programme admissions at VIT-AP University from AY- 2021.
|Tuition Fees (Per Annum)||INR 1,50,000|
|Caution Deposit (Refundable)||INR 3,000|
|Total fees to be paid for first year||INR 1,53,000|
B.A. IN PUBLIC SERVICES Merit Based Fee Structure
|1. What is a dual degree programme?|
|Dual degree programme is a combination of two separate degree programmes, one for the
undergraduate and the other for post graduate.
|2. What is Dual Degree [BA- Public Services], [MA – Public Services]?|
|The programme is designed to help students to prepare for UPSC examinations during the
period of their graduation and post graduation along with a degree in the subject.
|3. Is it possible to become an IAS officer while studying for BA Public-Services?|
|No, because the age to take the UPSC exams is 21 as on date for the call for exams.|
|4. Is it compulsory that one should do MA Public Services also?|
|No. After completion of BA, if you want you can exit the programme.|
|5. What is the duration of the programme?|
|The duration of the course is 5 years, but there is an exit option after successful
completion of 3 years with BA- Public Services degree.
|6. How many semesters should one study to appear for UPSC exams?|
|You can appear for the UPSC exams either after the successful completion of BA [6
semesters] or MA [10 semesters].UPSC exams can be attempted at the age of 21.
|7. What if one does not clear the UPSC exams?|
|Multiple attempts are possible for the UPSC exams. In case, if you are not able to clear the
UPSC exams, competitive exams like PSC, APSSC, Banks, Academics, Corporates etc,
can be written with the help of the knowledge acquired from this course.
|8.What are the opportunities abroad for this programme?|
|After successful completion of the programme, students can go abroad, for studies on
International relations, Public Services, or subject specializations like, Economics, Political
Science or development studies.
|9. Are there Placement opportunities for this programme?|
|Yes. The students are given training so that they are ready for any of the public services
|10.Are Scholarships available for the Programme?|
|Yes. Merit Scholarships of VIT-AP can be availed.
|11.Which UPSC Optional papers are covered in the programme?|
● Political Science
|12. Can a person with any degree apply for this programme?|
|Yes. Any full-time degree. However, one needs to undergo the BA and MA Public Services
|13. What can a student expect at the end of the programme?
|A Masters degree and the training to compete in the UPSC examinations.|
|14. Will the University help us get trained again after we miss the first attempt?|
|Yes, if it is within the duration of 5 years of the degree.|
|15. Does the programme offer free study materials?|
|Yes, study materials will be provided by the trainers at no extra cost.
|16. Are there separate fees for the training?|
|Yes. As the trainers are IAS and other professionals who have cleared UPSC, a nominal
fee has to be paid for the training.
|17. Will there be interactions with those who have cleared the UPSC exams?|
|Yes. Throughout the program, people who are well known in the UPSC training industry,
senior bureaucrats, and those who have recently cleared the UPSC exams, will meet the
students and provide first hand information regarding UPSC examinations.
|18. How is this degree different from other IAS Coaching Centres?|
|The BA, MA Programme has subjects that are relevant for the UPSC exams and therefore
a foundation is built for the examinations. The trainers are best in the industry and
therefore, this programme offers not just training but also a degree that will be helpful for
future academic pursuit.
|19. How will the exams be conducted?|
|The exams for the BA – MA Degree will be at par with any other examinations of VIT-AP
University which is recognised by the UGC. For attempting UPSC examinations, one
needs to follow the UPSC guidelines.
|20.What is the student intake for the programme?|
|As of 2021-22, the intake is 30 students. The strength is decided in such a way that each
student gets individual attention which is required for the programme.
|21. What is the minimum qualifying mark required to take the course?|
|A minimum of 60% at class XII of any recognised boards of examination, with relaxations
as applicable. Students from Jammu and Kashmir and North Eastern States of
India, SC/ST community students should have an aggregate of 50% in the Class